What Is Single Vision?
Single vision lenses only have one prescription for a given distance. Most reading glasses and distance glasses have single vision lenses because they are designed for people who are difficult in seeing either near or far.
What Is Bifocals?
Bifocal lenses are divided into two parts to accommodate two different prescriptions in one lens. One area of the lens will have one prescription usually for distance and a segment in the lower half will have the other usually near vision.
The bifocal lenses are mostly used to correct a presbyopia vision problem.
Single Vision vs Bifocals: What Are Their Differences
After learning some basic information about single vision lenses and bifocal lenses, you may ask what are the differences between single vision and bifocal. So, in this section, we will show some of them.
Pros and Cons of Single Vision
- Single vision lenses are usually used to correct nearsightedness and farsightedness.
- Single vision lenses are the most affordable lens type.
- There is no adjustment period needed to get used to.
- Single vision lenses are suitable for those patients who are under the age of 40.
- Single vision lenses are used to correct those patients who have only one vision depth, either near or far.
- The costs can rise surprisingly high depending on the lens material and prescription strength. It can range from $5 - $500.
Pros and Cons of Bifocal Lenses
In this section, we will show some pros and cons of the bifocal lenses.
- The 2-in-1 lens provides both close-up & distance vision correction.
- Cost effective solution for multiple vision depths.
- Relatively cheap, especially compared to progressive lenses.
- Friendly to those who want vision correction for multiple depths at a reasonable price.
- Friendly to those who require reading glasses but do not want to purchase or carry a second pair.
- Distinct, non-discrete line & half circle shaped near vision lens.
- Image jump when transitioning from distance to near vision & back again.
- Expensive than single vision lenses and typically range from $20 - $50.
From the above information, you can learn some differences between single vision and bifocal lenses. So, when you are choosing glasses lenses, take these differences into consideration.
However, if you need a new pair of glasses, Koalaeye glasses are recommended. Koalaeye Optical is an online glasses store, providing all kinds of stylish frames and different lens materials. What’s more, Koalaeye glasses are stylish and cheap with good quality.
To sum up, as for bifocal vs single vision, what are their differences? After reading this post, you may have gotten the answers. If you have different ideas for the differences between single vision and bifocal, share them in the comment zone. If you have any problems with glasses, please feel free to contact us via the email email@example.com and we will reply to you as soon as possible.